Friday, December 10, 2010

Mrs Mix It's Gluten Free Pie & Tart Crust


Okay so I have a little secret, this is my first time I have ever created a gluten free pie or tart crust recipe. I have seen recipes that incorporate egg substitute or even with vinegar. However, I wanted to create a recipe that I could pass on to my friends that have food & wheat allergies. This recipe incorporates gluten free all pupous flour, butter, shortening, sugar, salt and cold chilled water and the best part is I make it in the food processor.

Home Made Gluten Free Pie or Tart Crust Ingredients:
1/3 cup shortening plus 2 Tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup of butter chilled chopped
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Xanthium gum
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 cup water chilled 
 
This is the easiest recipe and it will only take you 2 to 3 min to make. Take the gluten free flour, Xanthium gum, Sugar and Salt and put in the food processor with dough blade ( picture below) pulse 3 times. Next add chopped chilled butter, pulse 4 times, Add Shortening divided equally around bowl. pulse again 4 times add 2/3 cup of water pulse again. The remainder of the water is used to add if needed. Do not need to much because you do not want it to get tough.


Roll out the dough on some gluten free flour to make sure it will stay together then cut it to the size of your pan.  
 
This will make enough dough for a top and a bottom of a shallow pie pan. Or 2 dozen tarts.

Enjoy and Bon Appetite

Sheila Fretz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment